St. Michael's School, founded in 1991, is a private U.S. type school located in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. The school is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and by the National Ministry of Education of the Dominican Republic (SEEBAC).
St. Michael's School is a college preparatory school and has a rigorous academic program ranging from 1st through 12th grade. All students are required to take courses such as Language Arts, Math (Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry and Calculus), Science, Social Studies, Computer Science, Physical Education, Religion (in elementary and junior high school), Ethics, as well as a selection of co-curricular classes such as PSAT, Yearbook, Human Formation, Health & Choices, Dance, Choir and Newspaper. In order to meet the Dominican requirements for graduation, students are also required to take Spanish, Latin American and Dominican Social Studies, French (in secondary school) and must fulfill 60 hours of community service before graduation.
The school also offers its student body opportunities to become involved in Student Council, National Honor Society, Model United Nations Club, Junior Achievement, and Leaders’ Club, as well as community service projects that are carried out in different grade levels. In addition, St. Michael’s offers team sports such as soccer, volleyball and basketball and is home to champion teams such as the Boys Varsity Volleyball team and the Girls Junior Varsity Soccer team.
We are committed to providing high quality education which will prepare our students to successfully continue their studies in American, Dominican or other universities abroad. To this end we will use the latest and proven effective educational strategies, integrate up to date technological advancements across the curriculum and employ qualified instructional and support personnel to maximize student learning. We are equally committed to combining academic excellence with the development of sound moral values based on Judeo-Christian principles, civic responsibilities, healthy social skills and physical well-being.
As a private, college-preparatory U.S. type school, we are committed to offering high quality education that complies with the standards of the school’s accrediting agencies: The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and the “Secretaria de Estado de Educación y Cultura” (SEEBAC). Therefore, the school follows the official programs for SEEBAC in areas such as “Lengua Española”, “Estudios Sociales”, and “Religión”, and all other subject areas meet the established standards for U.S. type accredited schools in Latin America.
As an educational community it is our goal to work collaboratively with the school’s stakeholders to offer our students all the support and opportunities which will challenge them to excel and enhance their growth as whole individuals, in a physical, emotional, social, spiritual, and intellectual manner. All this will enable them to encounter a life in which they may apply themselves in a positive way, not only for their own well-being, but for all of humanity.
We dedicate our time and effort so that our students will be oriented to fulfilling the needs of Dominican and all other cultures while interacting in an ethical, responsible, and loving manner, regardless of the society in which they may live. We combine our commitment to academic excellence with the development of conscientious values and principles, so that students may grow with capabilities, talents, and the necessary social and cultural skills that will allow them to continue their academic and personal growth while benefiting from all of the experiences that life offers them.
We would hope that their goal in life be to give their best and know that their role in society will help make a better world. In this manner, students may become citizens of the world and make good use of the one true legacy which may be given to humanity: education.
Expectations for students
Be capable of practicing sensible habits of personal well-being in a physical, mental, emotional, social, and spiritual sense while continually seeking self improvement.
• Develop reading, writing, speaking, listening, and viewing skills in English to effectively apply these in the primary content areas at school as well as for general communication in their daily lives and upon continuing their university studies.
• Obtain effective use of the Spanish language, and understand Dominican history and culture in preparation for continued university studies.
• Expand on their interest in reading and writing by seeking out quality literature and opportunities for purposeful writing.
• Obtain knowledge in mathematics, science and health permitting them to apply and evaluate what they have learned.
• Develop an understanding and appreciation of the world’s different cultures through literature and social studies, as well as activities that promote global awareness.
• Acquire the latest technology skills to be applied to other subject areas and beyond school.
• Experience and appreciate various forms of art, music, and other valuable co-curricular activities.
• Participate in various forms of physical education activities designed to develop coordination skills and recognize the importance of exercise for one’s health.
• Use the library and media facilities to enhance learning and to practice research skills.
• Be capable of respecting him/herself and others by accepting cultural, racial and religious differences, keeping in mind that each person is unique.
• Be capable of making decisions and judgments independently.
• Be capable of appreciating nature, life, and beauty in all of its forms.
• Be capable of using creativity and taking initiative on any assigned task.
• Be capable of accepting his/her role in society not only for his/her immediate personal gain, but also for what he/she may contribute to future generations.
• Be capable of having self-discipline and assuming responsibility for all his/her actions, acknowledging himself/herself to be the architect of his/her own destiny.
• Be capable of organizing and using time effectively.
• Receive guidance and information to assist them in making career and/ or college decisions.
• Through his/her studies, be capable of acquiring the necessary skills, knowledge and processes that will enable him/her to perform as a capable and well-rounded individual.
El servicio de Textear un listado es libre de costo para los usuarios de SuperPagesPR.com. La compañía de teléfono celular podrá aplicar un cargo al destinatario por recibir el mensaje y/o limitar el acceso a este servicio a su discreción.